Garlic sauce is a popular condiment in Trinidad and Tobago. It is a must-have on fried street food like bake and shark, fried chicken, and more.
This garlic sauce recipe is so simple to make and requires mayonnaise, garlic, chadon beni, citrus juice and a couple other ingredients all blended together.
As an Amazon associate, I earn small commissions on qualifying purchases.
Garlic sauce ingredients
To make this recipe, you will need:
- mayonnaise: regular or egg-free mayonnaise can be used here.
- chadon beni leaves: also called recao or culantro or Thai parsley or bandhania. You can find fresh and dried chadon beni at Caribbean and Asian stores or on Amazon. If this is not available, then use cilantro leaves as a substitute.
- citrus juice: lemon juice or lime juice works great.
- sugar: this balances the sharpness of the garlic. You can try any sweetener of your choice but white granulated sugar is most often used.
- pepper: black pepper is a great option but fresh pepper or pepper sauce can also be added for a spicy kick.
Feel free to make this recipe your own. Add in chives, mustard and even extra chadon beni leaves for a garlic chadon beni sauce. The sauce is great on its own but have fun experimenting with it!
How to make Trini garlic sauce
Prep the ingredients
Step 1: Peel the garlic, rinse and set aside. Wash the citrus of your choice, squeeze the juice and remove the seeds. Give the chadon beni leaves a good wash to remove any dirt.
Blend the ingredients
Step 2: Add all the ingredients to your blender. The garlic, mayo, chadon beni, citrus juice, sugar, salt, pepper and water should be in there along with any optional ingredients. Here’s a look at everything in the Nutri cup of my Ninja kitchen system.
Step 3: Blend the ingredients until you have a smooth garlic sauce. If you want a very thick garlic sauce, reduce the water and for a thinner sauce, add more water.
Step 4: Use the garlic sauce straight away or add it to a clean pour bottle and refrigerate. It should last a few days in the fridge.
More sauce recipes:
Garlic Sauce Recipe
Trinidad garlic sauce
- 5 garlic cloves (peeled)
- ¾ cup mayo
- 3 chadon beni leaves
- 1½ tbsp lime juice (or lemon)
- 2 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- ¼ tsp black pepper (or fresh pepper) (adjust to taste)
- 1½ tbsp water
- Peel garlic and rinse.
- Rinse chadon beni leaves.
- Rinse lime, cut, squeeze and remove any seeds.
- Blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Taste test and adjust flavors like salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately or bottle and store in the fridge.
2 thoughts on “Trinidad Garlic Sauce Recipe”
Awesome!!! First time ever making garlic sauce and it’s so good!!! Putting it on everything!!! ❤️💯
Yesssss! It’s really yummy!