It’s margarita time again! This one is a grapefruit margarita recipe made with tequila and citrusy tart flavors from grapefruit and triple sec.
Sweetened with a little syrup, this grapefruit margarita is refreshing and pretty similar to my paloma cocktail recipe, except there isn’t any club soda or lime juice in this one. Hope you enjoy it!
As an Amazon associate, I may earn a small commission on qualifying purchases.
Ingredients for grapefruit margarita
In this margarita variation, I used:
- tequila: you should use your favorite brand of tequila here. Good quality silver or blanco tequila is my preference.
- grapefruit juice: store-bought pink or ruby red grapefruit juice work well for this recipe and if they are sweetened or sweet enough, you could eliminate the simple syrup from this recipe. I used freshly squeezed pink grapefruits though, so I needed the extra sweetness from the syrup to balance the drink.
- triple sec: this orange liqueur compliments the grapefruit juice and adds to the citrusy flavors of the drink. Monin triple sec is a great choice if you’re looking for one.
- simple syrup: I usually make my own for cocktails. You can check out my simple syrup recipe here so you can batch make for your cocktail night.
Equipment for this recipe
You don’t need any special equipment for this margarita, but a good bartender kit will always be an asset especially when you’re entertaining friends. Who doesn’t love an impromptu cocktail party with a few mixed drinks?
How to make this grapefruit margarita
To make this recipe, add 2 parts each of tequila and grapefruit juice to 1 part triple sec and about 1 part simple syrup. Omit the syrup if your juice is sweet enough. Try this ratio when scaling up the recipe.
Step 1: If you are planning to use garnishes for your drinks, prepare them beforehand. Grapefruit slices, wedges and twists are great options. You can also add salt or sugar to the rim of your cocktail glass.
Step 2: Make simple syrup beforehand. To do this, mix equal parts sugar and water, add to a small saucepan on medium heat and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes or so until the syrup thickens slightly. Cool and set aside until you are ready to make the drink.
Step 3: Wash, cut and squeeze the grapefruit to extract the juice. Eliminate this step if you are using store-bought juice.
Step 4: Add ice, tequila, and grapefruit juice to your cocktail shaker. Cover and give it a good shake. Taste test. If it needs some sweetness, add the syrup. Mix again.
Step 5: Strain and serve cold in your prepped cocktail glass with a garnish.
Grapefruit margarita recipe
Grapefruit margarita cocktail
- cocktail shaker (optional)
- 2 oz tequila (blanco)
- 2 oz grapefruit juice (fresh or store-bought)
- 1 oz triple sec
- 3/4 oz simple syrup (optional)
- Prepare garnish like grapefruit wedges, slices, or twists (optional).
- Make simple syrup beforehand if using fresh juice (separate recipe).
- Wash, cut and squeeze the grapefruit. Strain the juice.
- Add tequila, grapefruit juice and triple sec to a cocktail shaker. Shake.
- Taste test.
- If tart and slightly sour, add syrup to a cocktail shaker. Shake.
- Pour into prepared cocktail glass.
- Serve cold with the garnish.