I adore the smell and taste of guava. It is bright, tropical and packed with tons of Vitamin C. Actually, 100 grams of fresh guava has about 300% the recommended daily value for Vitamin C!
And this simple guava juice recipe is so easy to make with just 3 ingredients and about 10 minutes. Simple, quick and delicious!
This post contains affiliate links.
Guava juice ingredients
For this recipe, I used:
- guavas: I’m using Red Indian guava or pink guava. It has light green to yellow skin and light pink flesh on the inside. You can substitute the pink variety for the white or Cayenne guava in this recipe. They will be a different color but still have that wonderful guava taste.
- water: for diluting.
- sugar: Here I am using white sugar but feel free to substitute with your favorite sweeteners like brown sugar, honey, palm sugar, agave and more.
Equipment for this recipe
How to make guava juice
Prep the guavas
Step 1: Wash the guavas thoroughly with warm water.
Step 2: The guava peels are edible and can be left on and blended to make the drink. But, I purchased these guavas from the market and didn’t know if they were sprayed with any pesticides. So, I peeled the guavas using a small paring knife.
Step 3: Cut each guava in quarters. You may see small white worms wriggling around in the fruit. You can rinse the flesh to remove them but they are harmless and can add a little protein to your juice. Luckily, these guavas I purchased from the market were worm-free!
Step 4: Add the peeled guava quarters, water and sugar to the blender or in my case the Ninja nutri-blender.
Step 5: Blend for about 5 to 10 seconds. The fruit doesn’t need much to become smooth. Less blending time also means the seeds won’t be cut into tiny pieces which are harder to strain out of the juice.
Step 6: Strain the juice one to two times to remove any seed bits.
Step 7: Taste test at this point and adjust the sweetness and dilution of the juice to your own preferences.
Step 8: Place in the fridge to chill and serve cold. My mom loves freezing the juice in ice trays and using a guava ice block in her smoothies every day.
Where to buy guava juice
Of course, you can skip these steps and just purchase guava juice from Amazon. It’s sometimes called guava nectar on there.
Guava juice benefits
So, what is guava juice good for? According to this 2016 Thai study, every part of the guava plant from roots, bark, leaves and fruits have potential medicinal use. It cited several lab and animal studies that linked guava to antioxidant and anti-hypertensive benefits. It has also been showed to help dilate blood vessels and protect the cardiovascular system.
Guava juice recipe
Fresh guava juice
- 450 grams fresh guava (3 large guavas)
- 400 mL cold water
- 3 tbsp sugar (or sweetener of your choice)
- Wash guavas thoroughly.
- Peel skin (optional).
- Cut into quarters.
- Add guava quarters, water and sugar to blender.
- Blend for 5 to 10 seconds.
- Strain. Double strain if needed.
- Taste test and adjust water and sweetener levels.
- Serve cold.