Strong, slightly sour, citrusy, the kamikaze drink is a popular cocktail that has been enjoyed for decades. It has roots in Japan, likely from an American naval base post-WWII, and roughly translates to “divine wind.”
The drink is made with three simple ingredients though there are variations with blue curacao and other flavors. It is also sometimes served as shots.
As an Amazon associate, I may earn a small commission on qualifying purchases.
Kamikaze drink ingredients
To make this drink, you will need:
- vodka: it is best to use a premium vodka that you enjoy regularly. You can also try this recipe with flavored vodka infused with lemon or other citrus variations.
- triple sec: this is a strong, orange liqueur that is often sweet and contains alcohol, though alcohol-free versions are also available. Try this Monin triple sec from Amazon or any of these options.
- lime juice: freshly squeezed lime juice is best for this recipe but sweetened, store-bought lime juice can be used as a substitute.
Equipment for this recipe
If you enjoy cocktails, martinis and other mixed drinks, you can get yourself a bartender kit with a cocktail shaker, measuring jigger, muddler and more. I have this bartender kit by Aozita that I really like a lot and use often.
Shop this post
How to make this kamikaze recipe
For this recipe, you can use 2 parts vodka for 1 part triple sec and 1 part lime juice. Try this ratio if you plan on scaling up the recipe to make a pitcher for game night or family get togethers.
Step 1: If you are planning on using cocktail garnishes like lime slices, wedges or twists of the peel, prepare them first.
Step 2: Wash the lime, cut and squeeze to have the fresh lime juice.
Step 3: Add ice, vodka, triple sec and lime juice to the cocktail shaker. Cover and shake to mix the drink.
Step 4: Strain and pour the drink into a chilled martini glass, or a shot glass. Serve cold with your choice of garnish.
Kamikaze drink recipe
- 1 oz vodka
- ½ oz triple sec
- ½ oz fresh lime juice
- cocktail shaker
- Prepare garnish like lime slices, wedges or twists (optional).
- Wash, cut and squeeze the lime. Strain to remove seeds and pulp.
- Add ice, lime juice, vodka and triple sec to a cocktail shaker.
- Cover and shake thoroughly.
- Pour into a chilled martini glass or shot glass.
- Serve cold with your prepared garnish.