This mahi mahi recipe is so simple to make in the air fryer and tastes so good, even picky eaters will enjoy it.
To make the recipe, wash the fillets with lime juice and marinate them with Caribbean green seasoning, garlic, ginger, salt and more lime juice for 30 minutes. Spray with oil and cook in a preheated air fryer at 375°F for 12 minutes, turning once half way in between.
As an Amazon associate, I may earn a small commission on qualifying purchases.
Ingredients for air fryer mahi mahi
For this recipe, I used:
- mahi mahi fillets: I made this recipe in Tobago and got fresh fish from Speyside. The fisherman did an excellent job at filleting the four pound fish and the fillets were enough for three meals for hubby and me.
- lime: this removes the freshness of the fish.
- Caribbean green seasoning: I actually used store-bought seasoning that contained chadon beni, garlic, pepper and vinegar. You can make your own from scratch. And if you don’t have access to chadon beni, try using cilantro as a substitute. Or pick it up on Amazon here.
- pepper: Here I had pepper flakes that I used on the fillets. But you can use your favorite pepper like paprika, black pepper or even scotch bonnet peppers. Of course, this is optional.
- oil: I used olive oil.
- parmesan cheese (optional): I highly recommend adding the parmesan cheese to the top. It gives a wonderful taste to the fish.
Equipment for this recipe
I’m using the Gourmia 5 in 1 smokeless grill and air fryer but any air fryer can be used to make this delicious mahi mahi recipe.
How to make mahi mahi in the air fryer
Before getting into how I made this recipe, I thought I’d share a photo of the fisherman as he filleted the mahi mahi. He was so precise and did a wonderful, quick job in deskinning and deboning the fish.
Since I was on holidays when making this recipe, I had to cut the long fillets into smaller portions to fit in the bowls I had in the hotel. Of course that’s optional. You can leave the fillets long and whole or cut them to fit your air fryer.
Prepare the mahi mahi fish fillets
If you purchased the fish fillets from the frozen section of your supermarket, be sure to defrost them fully before preparing them.
Wash the fillets
Step 1: Place the fillets (or portioned fillets in my case) into a large bowl. Add water enough to cover the fish and the juice of one lime. Since, I used one of my large seedless limes, I got about two tablespoons of juice.
Step 2: After 1 minute, rinse the fillets.
Season the fish
Step 3: Next up, season the fish portions. Here I added Caribbean green seasoning, salt, grated garlic, ginger, pepper flakes and a teaspoon of lime juice. You can use your favorite seasonings here too like rosemary, oregano, paprika and more. If you can’t get your hands on Caribbean green seasoning, try making your own with chadon beni leaves, garlic, ginger, and a little pepper. Oh, and swap chadon beni for cilantro if it’s not common in your area.
Although fresh seasoning is better, you can always pick up store bought seasoning and you can even find it on Amazon here.
Step 4: Cover and place in the fridge for 15 to 30 minutes. You can also freeze the seasoned fillets and use them another time. They stay really well in the freezer.
Air fry the mahi mahi
Step 5: Preheat the air fryer at 375°F. This took about 2 to 3 minutes for me.
Step 6: Remove the mahi mahi from the fridge and spray with oil to coat the portions. I used olive oil but any mild vegetable oil will do.
Step 7: Add the oiled fish to the preheated air fryer and cook for 6 minutes on one side.
Step 8: Turn the fish after the 6 minute mark and cook for another 6 minutes for a total cook time of 12 minutes. Remove from the air fryer and sprinkle some parmesan cheese over the portioned fillets. Serve hot. I paired the fish with some air fryer sweet potato fries and they were absolutely delicious!
Step 9: Repeat steps 6 through 8 for the rest of the fillet portions.
More recipes and sides
Air fryer mahi mahi recipe
Mahi Mahi Recipe in Air Fryer
- air fryer
- 4 lbs mahi mahi fillets
- 1 lime (2 tbsp plus 1 tsp of lime juice)
- 2 tbsp Caribbean green seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic (grated)
- 1 inch ginger (grated)
- 1 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp pepper flakes (optional, adjust to taste)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese (optional)
- water for rinsing the fish
- Defrost the fish if purchased frozen.
- Cut the mahi mahi fillets to a size that will fit in your air fryer.
- Add the fillet portions to a large bowl.
- Add 2 tbsp of lime juice and enough water to cover the fish.
- Empty the water and rinse the fillet portions after 1 minute.
- Add the Caribbean green seasoning, grated garlic, grated ginger, salt, pepper flakes and 1 tsp of lime juice to the fish.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Cover and refrigerate for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat the air fryer at 375°F.
- Remove the mahi mahi from the fridge.
- Spray with oil to coat the fish.
- Add the fish to the preheated air fryer.
- Cook for 6 minutes.
- Flip the fish portions.
- Cook for another 6 minutes.
- Remove from the air fryer.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese (optional).
- Serve hot.
- Repeat air frying for all the fish portions (this will depend on the size of your air fryer).