Interested in a flavorful, healthy afternoon snack? Then, you’ll love this simple to make mango chow recipe.
Like any chow recipe, this one requires the fruit to be cut into bite-sized pieces and tossed with chopped chadon beni (culantro) leaves and other seasonings. Store in the fridge for at least 30 minutes so the flavors infuse into the fruit.
This post contains affiliate links.
Mango chow ingredients
For this recipe, I used:
- mango: any type of mango in a half-ripe to ripe state can be used for this recipe. Riper mangoes will be sweeter in the chow and will give you great contrast with the sweet, salty and spicy flavors. Half-ripe mangoes will be more tart, which also works really well in chow. My favorite type is Julie mango, but you can also use rose, starch, Graham, and any fleshy or available mango you can get your hands on.
- chadon beni leaves: also called culantro or recao in the US, these leaves add a sharp, herbaceous taste and flavor to the snack. If you can’t find chadon beni, try using cilantro, parsley, or chives as a substitute. Or try Caribbean green seasoning (which you can find on Amazon here).
- salt: this one is a must-have in every chow recipe.
- pepper: any type of pepper can be used here. Fresh pepper like pimento, scotch bonnet, and chilis add great spiciness to the dish. If you like it extra hot, try fresh scorpion pepper or pepper sauce. For quicker and milder options, try pepper flakes, tajin, black pepper, cayenne, or paprika. You can also omit the pepper completely.
- optional ingredients: garlic, chives, cilantro and other fresh ingredients add great flavor. Lime or lemon juice also works well here and helps to preserve the chow.
When it comes to making chow, there are no rules! You can make chow with any fruit or veggie like cucumber, pineapple, strawberry, watermelon, pomerac and pommecythere. Mix in your favorite savory herbs and spices too.
How to make mango chow
Step 1: Wash and peel the mangoes. Slice the flesh off the seed and cut into smaller strips or bite sized chunks. Add the mango pieces and the seeds to a small bowl.
Step 2: Wash the other ingredients like the chadon beni and pepper. Chop finely.
Step 3: Add the chadon beni, salt, and pepper to the bowl with the mango pieces. Mix everything together.
Step 4: Cover and place in the fridge for at least a half an hour. During this time, the flavors will infuse into the fruit pieces and taste so much better. Serve cold.
Mango chow recipe
Easy Mango Chow
- 3 half ripe to ripe mangoes (like Julie mango)
- 10 small chadon beni leaves
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 pimento pepper (or 1 tsp of pepper flakes or paprika) (optional)
- Wash, peel and slice the mangoes.
- Cut the mango slices into strips or chunks. Place in a small bowl with the seeds.
- Wash and finely chop chadon beni leaves and pepper.
- Add all ingredients (salt, pepper, chadon beni) to the bowl with mango.
- Mix together.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 mins.
- Serve cold.