This paloma cocktail recipe has contrasting flavors from the sour, tartness of the grapefruit and lime juice to the sweet taste of the simple syrup. It certainly is a strong, refreshing tequila cocktail.
With origins in Mexico, paloma translates to dove, although some would suggest the drink gets its name from pomelo, the Spanish name for grapefruit. Whichever is the true story, let’s cheers to this fun citrus drink.
As an Amazon associate, I may earn a small commission on qualifying purchases.
Ingredients for this paloma cocktail
To make this cocktail, you will need:
- tequila: I highly recommend using good quality, silver or blanco tequila for this recipe.
- grapefruit juice: although paloma cocktails usually call for grapefruit soda, I have found freshly squeezed grapefruit juice works better for this recipe. Of course, you can always substitute with grapefruit soda or store-bought grapefruit juice.
- club soda: this adds a great fizziness to the drink while neutralizing the acidity of the juices.
- simple syrup: you can make your own simple syrup using this recipe here.
- lime juice: nothing beats freshly squeezed lime juice.
Equipment for this recipe
Shop this post
How to make this paloma cocktail
For this recipe, I used 4 parts tequila, grapefruit juice, and club soda; 2 parts simple syrup; and 1 part lime juice. You can use this ratio to scale up the recipe to batch-make the cocktails for everyone.
Step 1: Prepare your garnish. I like using a thin slice of grapefruit in the drink or grapefruit wedges for the side of the glass. You can also try lime slices, wedges or twists too.
Step 2: Wash, cut and squeeze the grapefruit and lime to make fresh juice.
Step 3: Add all the ingredients (tequila, grapefruit juice, club soda, simple syrup and lime juice) to your cocktail shaker along with ice. Cover and shake to chill. You can also add the club soda right before serving the drink.
Step 4: Strain and serve immediately with your choice of garnish.
Paloma cocktail recipe
- 2 oz tequila (silver or blanco)
- 2 oz fresh grapefruit juice
- 2 oz club soda
- 1 oz simple syrup
- 1/2 oz lime juice
- Prepare garnish like grapefruit slices or quarters, lime slices, wedges or twists (optional).
- Wash, cut and squeeze the grapefruit and lime. Strain the juice.
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker.
- Cover and shake.
- Pour into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Serve cold with the garnish.