This stir fried bok choy recipe is pretty easy-to-make and has salty, tangy, sweet and peppery flavors. There is so much depth of flavor in such a simple dish.
To make this recipe, wash the bok choy thoroughly, then saute garlic, ginger and the leaves for 3 to 4 minutes. Mix in the salty, sweet and spicy sauce and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes until the bok choy becomes tender.
As an Amazon associate, I may earn a small commission on qualifying purchases.
Ingredients for stir fried bok choy with garlic and ginger
For this recipe, I used:
- bok choy: it’s better to use fresh, organic bok choy here and you can also use baby bok choy.
- soy sauce: Kikkoman is my preferred brand of soy sauce, but you can use any high-quality, low-sodium sauce.
- rice vinegar: or rice wine vinegar brings in acidic, tangy flavors to this recipe.
- honey: This compliments and balances the saltiness of the soy sauce and acidity of the vinegar.
- sugar: I like using sugar to add extra sweetness to the soy sauce mix. You can omit if you like or substitute with your preferred sweetener.
- chili flakes: This adds subtle heat to the bok choy, but feel free to use black pepper, paprika, or chili powder.
- sesame seeds: I really like using both black and white sesame seeds for this simple recipe since their colors contrast each other and are great sources of magnesium and zinc. You can find black and white sesame seeds mixes for purchase on Amazon.
- sesame oil: the nutty taste of sesame oil cannot be beaten in this recipe! It’s so good!
- vegetable oil: any mild vegetable oil like avocado or grapeseed works well here.
Shop this post
How to make stir fried bok choy recipe
Prepare the ingredients
Step 1: Cut the base of the bok choy to separate the leaves. Wash the leaves thoroughly to remove any debris. You can also chop the stalks so they cook faster or cut the leaves lengthways in half or thirds.
Step 2: Wash, peel and mince the garlic and ginger.
Step 3: In a small bowl, mix together soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, sugar, and chili flakes. Whisk together and set aside for later.
Stir fry the bok choy
Step 4: Place a large saucepan on medium heat. Leave for a minute or two to heat up before adding the vegetable and sesame oil. Allow to heat up.
Step 5: Add garlic to the hot oil. Saute for 1 minute. Add the minced ginger and saute for another minute. If the garlic and ginger start browning too quickly, reduce the heat and add a tablespoon of water to prevent them from burning.
Step 6: Toss in the washed bok choy leaves. Mix with the sauteed garlic, ginger, and sesame oil. If you didn’t before, you can add a tablespoon of water here to create steam while cooking.
Step 7: Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
Step 8: Remove the cover. Stir the leaves and pour in the soy sauce-vinegar mixture. Mix and allow to cook uncovered for another 3 minutes.
Step 9: Turn off the heat. Sprinkle black and white sesame seeds over the cooked bok choy leaves and serve hot.
More vegan recipes
Stir fried bok choy recipe
Stir Fried Bok Choy with Garlic and Ginger
- ½ lb bok choy (2 heads)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp ginger (minced)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- ½ tsp sugar
- ⅛ tsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp sesame seeds for topping
- water (to prevent burning)
- Separate the bok choy leaves from the stems.
- Wash the leaves thoroughly. Set aside.
- Wash, peel and mince the garlic and ginger.
- Mix soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, sugar, and chili flakes together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place a large saucepan on medium heat. Allow to heat up.
- Pour in the sesame oil and vegetable oil.
- Mix in garlic. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add ginger. Saute for 1 minute (add a little water if needed to prevent burning).
- Toss in the bok choy leaves. Mix to coat.
- Add 1 tbsp of water.
- Cover the pan.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove the cover.
- Pour in the soy sauce mixture.
- Cook for 3 more minutes or until the bok choy stems are tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle black and white sesame seeds over the bok choy.
- Serve hot.