Trinidad sponge cake is a classic cake for every occasion.
It is pretty simple to make and hard to mess up.
This is an exact recipe that I’ve made many, many times. So, enjoy :).
What is in Trinidad sponge cake
To make this sponge cake, you will need:
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- essence (vanilla, lemon, almond, and orange are great options)
- lemon, lime or orange juice
- lemon, lime or orange zest
- cinnamon powder
If you’re interested in more recipes like this, check out this Trini snacks list.
How to make Trini sponge cake
The first thing to do when making sponge cake is to take the butter out of the fridge and leave it on the countertop to soften for an hour or two.
When it is sufficiently soft, be sure to preheat the oven at 350°F. And, butter and flour your cake pan.
Cream the butter and sugar
With the butter softened, add to your cake mixer. Pour in the sugar and turn on the machine to cream for a few minutes at high speed.
Reduce the speed and continue mixing for a few more minutes until the butter becomes fluffy and loses its yellow color.
Add the eggs and citrus
With the batter nice and fluffy, mix in the citrus juice and zest.
Next, add in one egg and beat to incorporate fully. Repeat for all other eggs.
Mix the dry ingredients
In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder and salt all together.
Fold in a quarter of the dry ingredients to the batter. Add half of the milk and half of the remaining flour mixture. Turn on the mixer and combine until fully incorporated.
Next, add the remaining milk, remaining flour and essence. Combine again until you have a smooth, silky batter.
Pour the batter into your prepared cake pan. An 11-inch cake pan is perfect for this cake.
Use a larger pan if you want a thinner sponge cake to make a nice layered cake. You’ll need to reduce the cook time by a few minutes to be sure it doesn’t dry out.
Bake the cake for about 45 to 50 minutes.
The cake should pull away from the sides of the cake pan. Check for doneness with a skewer at the center of the cake – if it comes out free from raw batter, your cake is done. Otherwise, pop the cake back in the oven for another 5 to 10 minutes.
When the sponge cake is done, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Tips for making Trinidad sponge cake
This recipe is such a straight forward one.
It is ideal to have the butter at room temperature when making this cake. If you are short on time, cube the butter and pop it in the microwave for 20 seconds or so. That should soften it enough without melting it. If it is still too cold, add microwave it for another 10 seconds.
Preheating is very important. You’ll want that oven to be nice and hot when you are ready to bake the cake. Too cold or opening the oven door for too long can affect how the cake expands and bakes.
Important! If you open the oven door during the baking time and cause a drop in temperature, the center of the cake will sink. You won’t get this nice bubble effect at the top. If it sinks, the cake won’t be light and fluffy in the center.
So, don’t be too impatient when baking.
Want another cake recipe? Check out this one:
Can you half this Trini sponge cake recipe
My mom halved this recipe and baked the cake for 30 minutes. It came out so, so good!
Trinidad Sponge Cake Recipe
Trinidad Sponge Cake Recipe
- Cake mixer
- 3 cups flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp essence
- 1½ tbsp citrus juice (lemon, lime or orange)
- 1 tsp citrus zest (lemon, lime or orange)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Leave butter on the countertop to soften for an hour or two.
- Preheat the oven at 350°F.
- Butter and flour the cake pan.
- Add softened butter and sugar to the cake mixer.
- Cream until smooth and fluffy.
- Mix in citrus juice and zest.
- Add one egg and combine fully.
- Repeat for the remaining eggs.
- In a separate bowl, mix the remaining dry ingredients.
- Fold a quarter of the dry ingredients into the batter.
- Add half of the milk and combine.
- Mix in half of the remaining dry ingredients.
- Add in essence and remaining dry ingredients and milk.
- Combine until smooth and silky.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan and the center of the cake is completely cooked (a skewer should come out clean).
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Serve with your favorite desserts.