This oven roasted sweet potatoes recipe makes such a wonderful, healthy side dish for lunch or dinner. The potatoes are always perfectly cooked with crispiness on the outside and melt-in-your-mouth softness on the inside.
To make these roasted sweet potatoes, simply peel and cut the potatoes into half- to one-inch pieces. Mix with oil, salt, pepper and seasonings and bake in a preheated oven at 425°F for 30 to 45 minutes (turning a couple times in between).
This post contains affiliate links.
Ingredients for roasted sweet potatoes
For this recipe, I used:
- sweet potatoes: here I used red sweet potatoes, but feel free to try other varieties like purple sweet potatoes. The purple version is tasty, really healthy for you and looks incredible.
- oil: I usually use olive oil for this recipe, but have used coconut oil as well. You can also use avocado, grapeseed or any other mild vegetable oil.
- pepper: black pepper, pepper flakes, paprika, or whatever you prefer can be used here – even fresh minced pepper. Here I tried pepper flakes and the potatoes had a nice spicy kick.
- seasonings: although I kept this recipe very simple, you can always add more seasonings from fresh chives, thyme and rosemary to oregano, sage and more.
How to make this roasted sweet potatoes recipe
Step 1: Preheat the oven at 425°F. You’ll want that oven nice and hot for roasting.
Step 2: Wash the sweet potatoes to remove any dirt on the skin. You can leave the skin on or peel it off. I usually peel under running water to prevent the sap from overly sticking to my hands.
Step 3: Cut the sweet potatoes into half-inch to 1-inch pieces and add them to a large bowl filled with water. This prevents the pieces from oxidizing and discoloring.
Step 4: Rinse the pieces a couple times.
Step 5: Add the olive oil, salt, pepper and any optional seasonings to the sweet potato pieces. Toss to coat fully.
Step 6: Oil a baking tray. Turn the seasoned pieces onto the tray, spreading everything out evenly.
Step 7: Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove and turn the pieces over. Add the tray back to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes before removing again and turning again. Pop back into the oven one last time and bake for 10 to 15 more minutes or until the pieces have cooked all the way through.
Step 8: Serve hot or cold as a wonderful side or in a salad.
Sweet potatoes recipe
Roasted sweet potatoes recipe
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil (or butter or oil of your choice)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- seasoning (optional)
- Preheat oven at 425°F.
- Wash and peel sweet potatoes. Rinse.
- Cut into ½" to 1-inch cubes. Add to a large bowl of water.
- Rinse the cubes and drain the water.
- Add 1¾ tbsp oil, salt, pepper and optional seasonings to the sweet potato.
- Oil a small baking tray with the remaining oil (¼ tbsp).
- Spread the sweet potato cubes onto the tray.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Turn the cubes over.
- Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven again. Give the cubes another turn.
- Bake for 10 to 15 more minutes or until the sweet potato is soft and cooked all the way through.
- Serve hot or cold