This simple syrup recipe is so easy to make and is perfect for sweetening tea, juice, mocktails, cocktails and more. It’s also great on top of pancakes and other sweet treats.
To make simple syrup, heat equal parts sugar and water on medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes. The sugar should melt completely and as the syrup cools, it will thicken slightly.
As an Amazon associate, I may earn a small commission on qualifying purchases.
Ingredients for simple syrup
You only need two ingredients for this recipe:
- sugar: For a clear syrup, use white granulated sugar for this recipe. If you don’t mind a little color, try using Demerara sugar (get it on Amazon here) or brown sugar. These cause the syrup to be more golden in color, but also add a richer, more molasses-like taste.
How to make simple syrup
Step 1: Place a small pot on medium heat. Add water and sugar to the pot.
Step 2: Stir to dissolve the sugar for about 2 minutes.
Step 3: Once the sugar melts, leave the syrup to simmer for another 2 minutes.
Step 4: Turn off the heat and allow the syrup to cool completely. Use immediately or pour into a clean, airtight container and refrigerate. It can last for a month in the fridge, assuming the container was properly sterilized before.
Simple syrup recipe
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- Place a small pot on medium heat.
- Pour in the water and sugar.
- Stir and allow the sugar to dissolve for 2 minutes.
- Leave to simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Allow to cool down.
- Use immediately or bottle in a clean, airtight container and refrigerate.