If you love cheese then you are definitely going to love this cheese rolls recipe.
It resembles a cinnamon roll but has baked cheese instead of cinnamon.
And that baked cheese is crispy and worthy of cravings.
Ingredients for this cheese rolls recipe
For this recipe, you will need:
- oil or butter
- cheddar cheese
- seasonings like mustard, pepper sauce, oregano and garlic powder
You can add any additional seasonings you like to the cheese filling. Chadon beni, cilantro, paprika, Italian seasoning, parsley… the list can go on. Add your favorites and make this recipe your own.
How to make these cheese rolls
Making cheese rolls involves kneading and resting the dough before rolling it out and adding the filling. Then, the dough is rolled into a tight log, cut into the cheese rolls and baked until the cheese becomes gooey, crispy and delicious.
Let me get into more details on how to make these cheese rolls.
Knead the dough
Step 1: The first thing to do is activate the yeast. To do that, add the milk to a small bowl and warm in the microwave for about 15 to 20 seconds.
Step 2: Then, mix in the sugar and yeast. Set aside for 15 minutes so the yeast activates.
Step 3: While that’s happening, crack the eggs and give them a good whisk.
Step 4: Mix in the oil and set aside. If you are using butter instead of oil, melt it in the microwave for about 30 seconds and leave it to cool down before whisking with the eggs. You don’t want to scramble the eggs so the melted butter should be cool enough.
Step 5: To a large bowl, add the flour and salt. Mix to incorporate. You can use a stand mixer at this point or mix by hand.
Step 6: Combine all the wet ingredients together – the milk, eggs and oil or butter.
Step 7: Add everything to the dry ingredients and knead until the dough is smooth. Using the dough attachment on your stand mixture works really well here. But, kneading by hand works great too. If the dough is still a little sticky, add a little flour at a time until it comes together nicely.
Rest the dough
Step 8: Cover the dough and leave it to rest in a warm space for about one hour or so. It should more than double in size.
Make the cheese filling
Step 9: Grate the cheese using a box grater on the larger side and mix in the seasonings. Or use a food processor like I did here. My favorite seasonings for this recipe are mustard, pepper, oregano and garlic powder. In the past, I’ve added other seasonings like Caribbean green seasoning and cilantro. Make it your own with your favorite flavors.
Step 10: Also, be sure to place the butter (1/4 cup) on the countertop to soften while the dough is resting. Or pop it in the microwave for about 30 seconds to soften.
Make the cheese rolls
Step 11: After an hour of proofing, punch down the dough. Dust some flour on a flat surface like your countertop or a large baking tray.
Step 12: Roll out the dough to form a large rectangle with a thickness of an eighth of an inch to a quarter of an inch.
Step 13: Rub the softened butter all over the dough.
Step 14: Sprinkle the cheese mixture over the butter.
Step 15: Now it’s time to roll the dough to form a long tight log. Start along the long edge of the rectangle and push the edges gently onto the cheese.
Step 16: Press down slightly as you push on the dough to keep it tight. As you get to the opposite side, press down and squeeze the edge gently to seal the roll (I didn’t do the best job of sealing the log so it opened up a bit when proofing later).
Step 17: You can cut the log into one inch slices immediately but you’ll need a sharp knife. Or pop the dough in the freezer to firm up for about 10 minutes before slicing. This helps the rolls to maintain their shape when slicing.
Step 18: Place the rolls on a prepped baking tray, cover and leave to rest for another 30 minutes.
Step 19: Preheat the oven at 350°F.
Step 20: Once the proofing time is done, pop them in the oven for 30 minutes or until the tops are brown and the cheese is crispy. They look so yummy! Serve them immediately or cold. They taste so good regardless. The rolls also stay well in the freezer.
I sprinkled some parmesan cheese on the top for a little extra salty cheesiness.
More cheese and bread please!
Cheese rolls recipe
Easy cheese rolls recipe
- Stand mixer optional
- food processor optional
- 3½ cups flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup oil or melted butter
- 1⅓ cup warm milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup butter (softened)
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp pepper sauce
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Mix warm milk, sugar and yeast in a small bowl. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Crack the eggs and whisk together.
- Pour in the oil or slightly cooled melted butter.
- Add to the milk mixture after the yeast activates.
- Mix flour and salt in a separate bowl.
- Pour in the wet ingredients.
- Combine and knead until the dough is smooth and soft.
- Cover and rest for 1 hour.
- Grate the cheese and mix in the seasonings like mustard, pepper, oregano and garlic powder (or use a food processor to grate the cheese and combine all the seasonings).
- Punch down the dough after the hour.
- Dust flour on a flat surface. Roll the dough out into a rectangular shape with 1/8-inch to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Rub the softened butter all over the dough.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese mixture over the dough.
- Roll the dough along the longer length into a tight log.
- Place the log in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the freezer.
- Cut the log into 1-inch thick cheese rolls.
- Place on a buttered and floured baking tray.
- Cover for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 350°F.
- Bake the rolls for 30 minutes or until the tops are brown and the cheese is crispy.
- Serve hot or cold or freeze for later.