You only need four ingredients to make this classic margarita recipe – tequila, triple sec, lime juice and simple syrup.
This margarita is simple-to-make and perfectly balanced with citrus and sweetness that your guests will always ask for more.
As an Amazon associate, I may earn a small commission on qualifying purchases.
Ingredients for classic margarita
To make this cocktail, I used:
- tequila: Any high quality silver or blanco tequila will be perfect for this recipe.
- triple sec: being an orange liqueur, this amplifies the citrus flavors in the cocktail. Most triple sec are alcoholic but there are some that are non alcoholic as well. This Monin triple sec from Amazon is a great one along with any of these options.
- lime juice: I used freshly squeezed lime juice here but if that’s not available you can always use unsweetened lime juice from the store.
- simple syrup: the syrup sweetens this margarita cocktail nicely and balances the sour citrus taste. I prefer my drinks a little sweet, but feel free to tone down the sweetness and reduce the amount. Use my simple syrup recipe to make your own beforehand – it stays well in the fridge.
- salt: this is entirely optional for aesthetics around the rim of the glass. You can use regular table salt, Himalayan pink salt, or citrus salt for this drink. Sugar is also a great option.
Equipment for this recipe
Honestly, you don’t need any special equipment to make this classic margarita. But, if you are into mixing cocktails, get your hands on a bartender kit with a cocktail shaker, measuring jigger and muddler for fun. I enjoy using this bartender kit by Aozita.
Shop this post
How to make this classic margarita
For this recipe, you can use 3 parts tequila for 2 parts triple sec, 1.5 parts lime juice and 1 part simple syrup. Use this ratio to scale up the recipe to make margaritas for a crowd. For larger batches, store in the fridge until you ready to serve.
Step 1: Prepare your garnishes if you plan on using them for your cocktail. Lime slices, lime wedges and twists are great options here. You can also use the lime to coat the rim of your cocktail glasses and gently roll them in salt. Of course, these are absolutely optional.
Step 2: Wash, cut and squeeze fresh limes to extract the juice.
Step 3: Make simple syrup. I have an entire post explaining how easy it is to make homemade simple syrup. Essentially, you can bring 1 part water and 1 part sugar to a boil on medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the syrup thickens slightly. Cool the syrup and set aside until you are ready to make the drink.
Step 4: Mix together ice, tequila, triple sec, fresh lime juice and simple syrup.
Step 5: Strain and serve in a chilled margarita glass with your choice of garnish, salt or nothing else.
Classic margarita recipe
Classic margarita cocktail
- 1 ½ oz tequila
- 1 oz triple sec
- ¾ oz lime juice
- ½ oz simple syrup (½ cup sugar and ½ cup water)
- salt (optional)
- cocktail shaker (optional)
- Prep lime slices, wedges or twists as garnish (optional).
- Rub a lime wedge along to the top of the glass. Roll the glass in salt (optional).
- Wash, cut and squeeze the lime. Strain the juice.
- Place a small pot on the stove on medium heat.
- Add equal parts sugar and water to make the syrup. Mix until sugar dissolves.
- Bring to a boil. Leave to boil for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Set aside to cool.
- Add ice, tequila, triple sec, strained lime juice, and cooled syrup to a cocktail shaker.
- Cover and shake.
- Strain and pour into a chilled, prepped margarita glass.
- Serve cold with any prepped garnish.