For a super soft, sweet and chocolatey treat, you have to try this simple-to-make sour cream chocolate chip cookies recipe.
With the typical cookie ingredients plus sour cream, spices and a little cocoa essence, these cookies take about 15 minutes to mix and about 12 to 14 minutes to bake at 350°F.
As an Amazon associate, I may earn a small commission on qualifying purchases.
Ingredients for sour cream chocolate chip cookies
Here I used the following ingredients:
- all purpose flour: you’ll likely have this in your pantry for sure. Otherwise, you can substitute for cake flour or pastry flour in a one to one ratio.
- baking powder: I recommend using aluminum-free baking powder like the one from Bob’s Red Mill (you can get it on Amazon here). The baking powder acts as a wonderful raising agent for the cookies.
- baking soda: much like baking powder, this works as a raising agent to make the cookies light.
- cinnamon powder: this adds a wonderful spice element to the cookies.
- nutmeg: this also adds a unique depth of flavor.
- salt: salt adds a contrasting element to the recipe and makes the cookies slightly chewy.
- brown sugar: I prefer using brown sugar in many of my recipes but feel free to use white sugar or palm sugar if you prefer.
- butter: unsalted butter works best.
- sour cream: this adds a unique flavor!
- egg: the egg works to bind the cookie together.
- vanilla essence: the vanilla adds a wonderful flavor to the recipe and masks the strong taste of the sour cream.
- cocoa essence: this adds a strong, chocolatey taste to the cookies that’s so good! The brand I use isn’t available on Amazon, but you can try these options: Cook’s chocolate extract and Heilala cocoa vanilla extract.
- chocolate chips: I use semi sweet chocolate chips, but there are lots of choices on Amazon.
How to make sour cream chocolate chip cookies
Step 1: Remove the butter from the fridge and leave to soften on the countertop for an hour or two. Or microwave the butter for about 15 to 30 seconds.
Step 2: When the butter is sufficiently soft, preheat the oven at 350°F.
Mix the dry ingredients
Step 3: In a large bowl, add the all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder and salt. Mix the ingredients together thoroughly and set aside.
Mix the batter
Step 4: Add the softened butter and brown sugar to your stand mixer. Cream the ingredients until the butter is light and fluffy. This can take about 5 minutes. Be sure to scrape the sides of the mixing bowl in between so the butter is well mixed.
Step 5: Crack one egg. Add it to the creamed butter and sugar. Beat until combined.
Step 6: Pour in the vanilla and cocoa essence. Mix thoroughly. The smells from the essences are so good!
Step 7: Stop the cake mixer. Add all of the dry ingredients and the sour cream. Continue beating on low speed until the batter comes together.
Step 8: Mix in the chocolate chips. The chips may affect the paddle of your cake mixer so use a low speed or mix in the chocolate chips by hand.
Spoon out the batter
Step 9: Line your cookie sheets with parchment or baking paper. Place two tablespoons of batter onto the paper for each cookie. Leave about two to three inches between each dollop of batter and between the sides of the cooking sheet. Give the cookies a little room so they could spread out.
Step 10: Bake for 12 to 14 minutes. Remove from the oven when done. The cookies are extremely soft at this point.
Step 11: Leave the cookies to cool for about five minutes on the cookie sheet, then gently place them on a cooling rack to cool down for about 30 minutes. As they cool, they will harden a bit and become perfect little sour cream chocolate chip cookies. Serve them when they’re cool.
Sour cream chocolate chip cookies recipe
Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cake mixer
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon powder
- pinch of nutmeg
- ⅔ cup butter (softened) (150 g)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ tsp cocoa essence
- 1¼ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Place the butter on the countertop to soften (for about 1 – 2 hours).
- Preheat the oven at 350°F (when the butter is soft).
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt to a large bowl. Mix.
- Add softened butter and sugar to the cake mixer.
- Cream until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes) on medium speed.
- Stop the mixer and scrape the sides frequently.
- Add egg. Combine.
- Pour in vanilla and cocoa essence. Combine.
- Stop the cake mixer.
- Add the flour and sour cream to the batter.
- Mix on low speed.
- Add the chocolate chips. Combine.
- Line the cookie sheets with baking paper.
- Place 2 tablespoons of batter onto the paper 2 inches apart from each other and the sides.
- Bake in the oven for 12 to 14 minutes at 350°F.
- Remove from oven. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack. Cool completely.