Healthy, refreshing and perfect for a hot day, this strawberry banana nice cream recipe will cool you down just right.
But what exactly is nice cream? It is a cold dessert that’s made by blending frozen fruit and has an ice cream-like consistency. Nice creams are great vegan, dairy-free, and even sugar-free alternatives to ice cream.
As an Amazon associate, I may earn a small commission on qualifying purchases.
Ingredients for strawberry banana nice cream
For this recipe, I used:
- strawberries: I used store-bought, organic, frozen strawberries for this recipe but you can use fresh ones as well. And, of course, you can add other berries you have in the fridge.
- bananas: these give the nice cream that creamy, ice cream-like consistency. Always use very ripe to overripe bananas since they are usually much sweeter.
- sweetener: sugar, honey, or any other sweet ingredient are optional when it comes to nice cream. If the strawberries are a bit tart, feel free to add a sweetener. Or leave it out for a sugar-free dessert.
Don’t limit yourself to just strawberries, add in any complimentary fruit like blueberries and raspberries. Or forget the strawberries completely and make mango banana nice cream. You can also try chocolate or peanut butter nice cream too!
A food processor is ideal for this recipe but a high powered blender will also be effective. Here, I am using my Ninja food processor (which you can find on Amazon).
How to make strawberry banana nice cream
Prep and freeze
Step 1: Peel the overripe bananas, removing any bad spots. Cut the bananas into 1-inch to 2-inch pieces.
Step 2: Place in a freezer-safe container or bag and store in the freezer until completely frozen (4 to 6 hours should be enough).
Step 3: If you are using frozen strawberries, like I am here, this step does not apply to you. But, if you are using fresh strawberries, give them a rinse in warm water. Place the berries in a freezer-safe container or bag and freeze until hard.
Step 4: Add the frozen fruit to the food processor (or blender if that’s what you are using). If the strawberries are tart, add a few tablespoons of sugar to the processor as well. I didn’t need the extra sugar so I left it out.
Step 5: Blend for 1 to 2 minutes. The food processor will mince the fruit pieces initially and eventually crush them to form a smooth, creamy nice cream.
Step 6: Remove from the food processor. Serve immediately or store in a freezer safe storage container.
This strawberry banana nice cream will last for several months in the freezer.
Strawberry banana nice cream recipe
Strawberry banana nice cream
- food processor (or blender)
- 1 lb strawberries (450 grams)
- 3 ripe to overripe bananas
- 3 tbsp sugar (optional)
- Peel bananas. Cut into 1 to 2-inch pieces.
- Freeze the banana pieces for at least 4 hours (overnight is ideal).
- Wash strawberries. Freeze for the same time as the bananas (this is not necessary if you are using frozen strawberries).
- Place frozen fruit in food processor.
- Add sugar if desired.
- Blend for 1 to 2 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately or freeze for later.