This soft Trini white bread is perfect for making your favorite sandwiches.
To make the recipe, simply knead the ingredients together to form a smooth dough, then leave to proof for 1.5 hours. Punch down, shape into a loaf, and leave to proof for 30 minutes before baking at 375ºF for 25 to 30 minutes.
Ingredients for Trinidad white bread
For this recipe, I used:
- all purpose flour: bread flour can also be used.
- yeast: I used instant yeast.
- sugar: For this recipe, I used brown sugar, but white sugar works just as well.
- shortening: Here in T&T, we often call shortening Cookeen, which is a popular brand name here. You can use butter or vegetable oil in place of shortening if you prefer.
- milk: For dairy-free options, try almond milk. Coconut milk also works well though you may get a slight coconut flavor in your white bread.
How to make this white bread loaf
Step 1: To a small bowl, add 1/4 cup of boiling water (you can microwave the water for a minute). Add the shortening to the hot water and stir until it completely melts. Allow to cool down to room temperature (about 30 minutes).
Step 2: To another small bowl, add 1/2 cup lukewarm water and sugar. Stir to dissolve and mix in the yeast. Set aside for 15 minutes to allow the yeast to activate.
Step 3: In a large bowl, mix flour and salt together. Make a small well in the center.
Step 4: When the boiling water and shortening are lukewarm, add to the dry ingredients. Pour in the activated yeast mixture and milk.
Step 5: Combine the ingredients and knead. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and continue kneading to form a smooth, soft dough. This can take about five minutes. Keep pressing the dough with the base of your palm as you stretch it and roll it back onto itself. This will help to develop the gluten bonds in the dough.
Step 6: Form the dough into a ball and place into a large oiled bowl. Oil the top of the dough too. Cover and allow to rise for 1 and 1/2 hours.
Shape the loaf
Step 7: Punch the dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and, with a rolling pin, roll out the dough into a rectangular shape with its shorter edge being the length of your loaf pan.
Step 8: Using your hands, roll the shorter edge of the dough onto itself to form a tight loaf. Place in a greased loaf pan and cover. I used a 9″x5″ loaf pan here but, for a more pronounced top, use a smaller loaf pan.
Step 9: Leave to rise for 30 minutes.
Step 10: Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Add a small heat-proof bowl with water to the bottom of the oven. This will introduce steam to the oven which will help your bread develop a beautiful crust without cracking.
Step 11: Bake the loaf for 25 to 30 minutes. Once done, remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack to cool completely before slicing.
Homemade white bread recipe
Trini White Bread Recipe
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp shortening (15 grams)
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup water (¼ cup hot water and ½ cup lukewarm water)
- Mix ¼ cup boiling water and shortening in a small bowl. Stir.
- Set aside to come to room temperature (approx. 30 minutes).
- Mix ½ cup lukewarm water, sugar and yeast in a small bowl.
- Set aside for the yeast to activate (approx. 15 minutes).
- Add flour and salt to a large bowl. Combine thoroughly. Make a well in the center.
- Pour the milk, cooled water and shortening mixture and activated yeast into the flour well.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Press on the dough with the base of the palm, while kneading, pushing the dough and rolling it back onto itself. Form a smooth, soft dough.
- Place in a large oiled bowl. Brush the top of the dough with oil.
- Cover. Leave to rise for 1½ hours.
- Uncover and punch down the dough.
- Place onto a floured surface.
- Roll out the dough, forming a small rectangle (the shorter edge should be the length of your loaf pan).
- Roll the dough tightly onto itself for a loaf.
- Place in a greased loaf pan.
- Cover. Leave to rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven at 375ºF.
- Add water in a small bowl and place inside the oven (below the bread).
- Bake the loaf for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Place onto a cooling rack.
- Cool completely before slicing.