Looking for a quick and healthy side dish that’s great for lunch or dinner? Then, try this easy-to-make sauteed green beans with ginger recipe.
You only need four ingredients and it takes roughly five minutes to cook.
Ingredients for sauteed green beans
For this recipe, I used:
- green beans: here in T&T, we know green beans as string beans. The ‘string’ was a fibrous strand that was often removed before cooking. Nowadays, with genetically modified plants, there are no ‘strings’ in the beans anymore, which cuts down on prep time. By the way, green beans have good levels of Vitamin C, about 20% the daily requirement, though this value will drop after cooking.
- ginger: this adds a simple but flavorful element to the beans.
- oil like coconut oil: I prefer using coconut oil since it adds a wonderful nutty flavor that complements the beans so well. Avocado, sesame and peanut oils are also great options.
Of course, you can make this recipe your own with more ingredients and flavorings. Sometimes, I add in some chopped pimento peppers and garlic. But feel free to use your favorites.
How to make sauteed green beans with ginger
Step 1: Wash the green beans thoroughly. Cut both ends off each bean.
Step 2: Wash, peel and mince the ginger.
Cook the beans
Step 3: Place a large pot on low heat. Leave to heat up for a few minutes. Add the oil and give the pan a swirl so the oil coats the base of the pot.
Step 4: Add all the remaining ingredients to the pot: the green beans, minced ginger and salt. Stir to evenly distribute the salt and ginger. Cover the pot.
Step 5: After two minutes, stir the beans before covering again. If the beans start sticking to the pot, add a tablespoon or two of water carefully and cover the pot to trap the steam.
Step 6: Cook for three more minutes for a total cook time of five minutes or until the beans develop a vibrant green color and become slightly tender. You can cook them longer if you want them a bit softer, though they would lose that gorgeous vibrant green color. Of course, you can also undercook the beans for a crunchier side dish. Serve hot or cold.
Sauteed green beans with ginger recipe
Sauteed green beans with ginger
- 160 g green beans
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp oil like coconut oil
- 2 tbsp water optional
- Wash and cut the ends off the green beans.
- Wash, peel and mince ginger.
- Place a large pot on low heat. Leave for 1 – 2 minutes to heat up.
- Add oil.
- Toss in the prepped string beans, minced ginger and salt.
- Cover the pot.
- Cook for two minutes.
- Remove the cover and stir. If the beans begin to stick, add a little water.
- Cover again and cook for 3 more minutes (for a total of 5 minutes) or until the beans are bright green and slightly tender.