If you’re a big fan of bananas, then you’ll love these moist banana muffins that you only need 2 bananas to make.
I scaled down my banana bread recipe for these muffins so you only need half of the same ingredients. Mix everything together and bake in muffin cups for about 22 minutes at 350°F.
As an Amazon affiliate, I may earn a small commission on qualifying purchases.
Ingredients for banana muffins
For this recipe, you’ll need:
- ripe to overripe bananas: these tend to be sweeter and have a more pronounced banana flavor.
- butter: this keeps the muffins soft and moist. You can use vegan butter as a substitute or vegetable oil. However, muffins with vegetable oil will not raise as much.
- sugar: I used white sugar but you can use brown sugar if you prefer.
- egg: you only need one for this recipe. To make these muffins eggless, mix in 1/4 cup of buttermilk and extra vanilla essence (about 1/4 teaspoon) to mask the taste of the buttermilk. Also, check out my eggless banana bread recipe too.
- baking powder
- baking soda
- cinnamon: feel free to add in a pinch of nutmeg if you like.
- vanilla essence: any of your favorite essence can be substituted here like almond, mixed, and even cocoa essence. You can find vanilla essence on Amazon here.
- optional: make this recipe your own with your favorite add-on ingredients like chocolate chips, nuts, apples, dried fruit, raisins and more.
How to make banana bread muffins
Step 1: Preheat the oven at 350°F.
Mash the bananas
Step 2: Wash and peel the ripe to overripe bananas. Add them to a mixing bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher. If you want some banana chunks in your muffins, then don’t overmash. I personally don’t like chunks so I made sure the bananas were smooth and chunk-free.
By the way, I’ve had these bananas in my fridge for about two weeks and didn’t want them to go to waste. So, banana bread muffins are a great way to use up your overripe, unused bananas.
Mix the ingredients together
Step 3: Melt the butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds to a minute. Add sugar and the melted butter to the mashed bananas and mix to incorporate.
Step 4: Crack one egg and whisk thoroughly. Add the egg and vanilla essence to the batter and mix.
Step 5: In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients together – the flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon powder. Feel free to add any additional ingredients at this point like chocolate chips, nuts, or raisins.
Step 6: Combine the dry and wet ingredients together thoroughly making sure there are no flour lumps in the batter.
Add to muffin trays
Step 7: Line your muffin trays with baking cups and spoon the batter into them. They should be about three quarter filled, but you can add more if you like muffin tops.
Step 8: Bake in the preheated oven at 350°F for 22 minutes.
Step 9: Remove from the oven and check for doneness with a bamboo skewer. Place on a cooling rack to cool down. Serve warm or store in the fridge for later.
Easy banana bread muffins recipe
Banana Muffins with 2 Bananas (Makes 6)
- 2 ripe to overripe bananas
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven at 350°F.
- Wash and peel the bananas.
- Place the bananas in a bowl and mash to desired consistency (chunky or smooth).
- Melt the butter in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add melted butter and sugar to the mashed bananas. Mix.
- Crack the egg and whisk fully.
- Add the whisked egg and vanilla essence to the batter. Mix.
- In a separate bowl, incorporate the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon powder.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients together.
- Mix thoroughly so there are no flour lumps in the batter.
- Line muffin trays with baking cups.
- Place batter into the cups until they are 3/4 filled.
- Bake for 22 minutes.
- Remove from oven, check for doneness and place on a cooling rack.
1 thought on “Banana Muffins with 2 Bananas: Quick and Easy Recipe”
Yum! Tasted really good!